HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, AMERICA!
Things I love about the United States:
1. The regional, cultural, and bio-diversity
2. Apple pie
3. You have most of the NHL hockey teams*
4. The relatively inexpensive gas
5. The incredible national parks
6. A rich, fascinating, complex, painful, triumphant history that I’m really enjoying learning
7. Toni Morrison, Harper Lee, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Maya Angelou, Junot Diaz, Marilynne Robinson, Ernest Hemingway
8. American Netflix
9. The Supreme Court’s (long overdue but no less thrilling) ruling in favour of same-sex marriage
10. The American road trip (when you have 50 states to travel through it’s just more exciting – except maybe Nebraska, sorry NE)
* This point in no ways implies support for US Olympic hockey teams or the Boston Bruins.